Thursday, March 10, 2022

Screencasts

 Screencasts

What is a screencast?

A screencast is a digital video recording of your computer screen and usually includes audio narration. Screencasts are just one of many different types of instructional videos.  When you look at a tutorial for something in Google, you are more than likely watching a screencast.

Screencasting not only saves you time answering the same questions over and over, but as teachers, we know that viewers recall a video better than when reading the instructions.  Kids love watching videos.  I know my personal kids spend hours watching videos.  The more entertaining you make it, the more like they will watch it.

I worked with two different screencast sites for this post.  The first is Screencast-o-matic and the second is Snagit.

 

Screencast-o-matic

Screencast-o-matic is a free screen capture utility.  It has a subscription option that is $1.50 per month.  I made a how-to video on finding books on my school’s online catalog, and it turned out fine.  It was easy to use.  Some pros: video editor, mobile companion apps, and online storage and publishing.  Some cons: no OCR functionality, only exports images as PNG files and no scrolling capture.  Here is the video I made with screencast-o-matic:


 


Snagit 2022

With Snagit, I had to use the free 15-day trial to use it.  It has two main components: the screen capture tool and the comprehensive editor tool.  There is good software support from TechSmith (the creator). You can simultaneously record your screen and yourself with a webcam. You can control the size and placement of the webcam. Some pros: easy to use, seamless screen recording capability, picture-in-picture video, unified format for different OS, multiple capturing options.  Some cons: some plans are a bit expensive (no free version available, only 15-day trial), video editing lacks advanced functionality.  Here is the video I made with Snagit 2022:



Overall, I liked screen-o-matic the best.  I don’t need a lot of fancy features, so if you need something simple, this is the screencast software for you.  If you are looking for more advanced features, look into purchasing Snagit.  


5 comments:

  1. I agree that kids love watching videos! I also agree with you point of using a screencast so you don't have to go over instructions again and again. I think that screencasts are helpful to students who may also need step by step instructions for something that they can pause and watch as many times as they need to. It seems like most of us liked screencast o matic best. It was the best option that was also free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked screen-o-matic the best overall. I felt is was very easy to use and had features that the others did not have. I agree with screencasts being very beneficial to the teachers and students because it allows you to record instructions, students can listen to it as many times as needed, and anything that deals with technology, kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids love watching videos, as well! I wish I would have been able to use and explore Screen-o-matic, but it was blocked, even on my teacher chromebook! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard of Snagit before your post. I do agree with your cons about a tool that only offers a 15 day trial since most of us teach and spending money on resources is difficult. I also think you are right about students learning through videos and how they enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had known about screencasts during lockdown. It is frustrating that you have to pay for something that has the potential to be such a powerful learning tool.

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

  This class has taught me so much about what tools are available to me on the internet.   I know students today live and breath technology....