Thursday, March 24, 2022

Videos and QR Codes in the Library

 People today young and old alike love watching videos.  I see my students and even my own children watching everything from how to decorate a cake to how to solve a math equation. My husband sends me these silly videos of people falling off of things or tricking someone to eat a hot pepper.  I myself have looked up videos on how to fix various things around the house. I will take advantage of this new pastime by using videos in several different areas in my library.  I will create instructional videos about how to use equipment, skills when doing research, and any other helpful information I can pass to my students.  I will share videos of fun and exciting things happening in the library.  This may interest a student who might not visit the library on a regular basis. 

Here are some Youtube channels and videos and my recommendations on each:


Theunquietlibrary

This video students will like the best:

Media 21 Cohort 2011-2012 Celebration Video

This video is most helpful for students:

Finding and Using Wikimedia Commons Images

 

Pikesvillehslibrary

This video students will like best:

Wii Like to Party @ The Panthers Library

 This video is most helpful to students:

PikesvilleHighschool FAFSA


Bbmsmedia

This video students will like best:

Issues by Julia Michaels Overdue Library Parody

This video is most helpful to students:

NoodleTools - how to create a book citation


One way to use videos in your library is by creating book trailers.  Again people love anything visual.  One of my favorite books of all time is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.  (I know, but I am fascinated by the whole beautiful and good vampire thing.)  Just in case you have been under a rock the last 17 years, here is the synopsis: 

   


 "Isabella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the         most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen,         Isabella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn.

    Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he         lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Isabella, the person Edward holds most dear. The lovers      find themselves balanced precariously on the point of a knife -- between desire and danger.

    Deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight captures the struggle between defying our     instincts and satisfying our desires. This is a love story with bite." ( Amazon.com)


Please scan to view my book trailer for TWILIGHT (I was completely creative, no pics of characters from the movies!)


QR codes are another great tool for the library.  You can make book trailers or any other information about a book (reading level, synopsis, AR points)  I would make a display that I change periodically, highlighting different books I think students would enjoy, but might not pick for themselves.  I would do a QR code with information and a book trailer to spark their interest. 

I could do a QR code with information about the library.  I could link the library catalog, social media pages, the informational videos I discussed earlier, or even link e-books to QR codes.  


 


5 comments:

  1. I must admit I never got into the whole Twilight thing but your book trailer did a great job of hooking me in. I agree with you that so many people use videos for all sorts of things these days. I feel like it is a great way to get kids interested in things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video, "Finding and Using Wikimedia Commons Images" found on the Unquiet Library YouTube channel is a great resource and an excellent video to share with students. In High School, I never thought about the rights of pictures online. The video could be used for a lesson to teach secondary students about copyrights. I loved your book trailer! Nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was super excited to watch your Twilight book trailer! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not into twilight but you did a great job on the book trailer! I think these a very helpful with couraging to read books they may not have naturally chosen.

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

  This class has taught me so much about what tools are available to me on the internet.   I know students today live and breath technology....